Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Book Exerpt: Cin by Christina Leigh Pritchard






Title: Cin
Series: C I N
Author: Christina Leigh Pritchard
Release Date: April 2010




Aunt Millie stood a few feet away. “Alex, honey, could you fetch me one of the chickens, please? I want to fix a nice dinner for Lisa.” Alex nodded his head and snatched a passing chicken by her neck. She clucked and scared all the other hens. They scurried around and hid inside their coop. Alex looked up at me. His eyes were blank.
“I better go get the eggs,” I mumbled, frozen.
Alex took out an axe, stretched the hen’s neck across a tree stump and dropped his weapon. The headless body ran around. That poor chicken. She didn’t even see it coming. Alex didn’t even flinch. Could I call PETA on him?
I doubled over and vomited. Probably not a case for PETA.
I think vegetarian is the way to go. A chicken free diet never hurt anyone; especially not the chickens.
Pig inched closer. He sniffed the air and snorted. “I know, I know, get the eggs.” I took a deep breath. Pink’s song, ‘Funhouse’ played inside my head. This used to be a funhouse. But now it’s filled with evil clowns. Yeah, that’s how I felt. It’s time to start the count down. I’m gonna burn it down.  I think someone already burned this family. They were cranky and angry. Even the animals seemed troubled.
Alex stood inches away with the dead, twitching body of the hen in his hand. “Breakfast is ready.” I turned and narrowed my eyes at the chicken killer.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment